The 5th Southern African Shark and Ray Symposium (SASRS) will make travel grants available to post-graduate students (MSc and PhD students) from the African continent, outside of South Africa. These travel grants have been generously sponsored by the Save our Seas Foundation, who will contribute between R5 000 and R10 000 towards travel expenses for a select number of students who apply.
This contribution includes full or partial coverage of return flights and three nights’ accommodation within a 10km radius of the venue, but excludes symposium registration costs, the gala dinner, daily lunches, and transport within Cape Town. Applicants for these grants must also submit an abstract for oral presentation.
To apply for this contribution, please email [email protected] with the following information:
- A letter of motivation for this funding (including details of flights and accommodation costs), written by the applicant
- A letter of endorsement from the applicant’s academic supervisor
- Proof of submitted abstract for oral presentation at the 5th SASRS to be submitted no later than 19 June 2019
- Proof of applicant’s registration at an African university
- A copy of the applicant’s passport
Please note: Applicants who are awarded a travel grant must register for the Presentation Skills workshop at the 5th SASRS.